Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo is a full-service law firm with over 170 attorneys in nine California offices. We look for attorneys and other professionals of the highest caliber.
We are proud to offer attorneys and staff a productive working environment which promotes teamwork throughout the firm. Attorneys can expect a challenging and fulfilling legal practice. Managers, paralegals, secretaries, and other staff members also take on challenging roles and are integral in delivering outstanding service to our clients.
We are widely recognized as one of the most diverse and inclusive law firms in the country. In May 2017, Chambers USA honored the firm as one of the five Most Inclusive Firms for Minority Women Lawyers nationwide. In March 2017, AALRR was awarded Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.’s (ABC) National Diversity Excellence Award for the third time in the Associate category. In May 2016, Law360 ranked AALRR as the second best law firm in the country for minority equity partners and the ninth best in the country for minority attorneys in general.
Many of our attorneys and staff spend their entire careers at AALRR. Our retention rates are much higher than average—our associate retention rate alone is over 90 percent. Here are some reasons why:
Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo seeks attorneys with strong analytical and writing skills, solid academic credentials, and a genuine interest in the practice of management defense.
Training and Development
We highly prioritize attorney development and satisfaction. To that end, the firm offers a formal mentoring program in which associates select their mentors, active committees focused on diversity and women attorneys, numerous cross-marketing programs, training programs such as our recent Trial Academy, Trial Academy II, and Negotiation Boot Camp, and a variety of networking and social events.
Associates at our firm generally are vested with significant responsibility early in their careers and often advance more quickly than associates at other law firms. New attorneys may negotiate with government agencies and opposing counsel, obtain courtroom experience, and become involved in firm marketing opportunities. These responsibilities allow them to acquire and refine their legal skills early on.
We provide a comprehensive benefits package that includes a progressive parental leave policy, generous associate compensation packages, and flexible working hours to all our attorneys. Our profit-sharing plan has been, for decades, one of the most generous in California—and it remains so today.
The following positions for attorneys are currently available:
Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo is seeking a 5+ year Associate in its Cerritos office for its Public Entity Labor and Employment Practice Group.
Specific skills sought are:
• At least five years of experience handling labor and employment matters, preferably for public sector clients such as cities, counties, and special districts;
• Experience with preparing a labor and employment case for trial/arbitration including actually participating in trials and/or arbitrations;
• Knowledge and experience of public sector labor and employment law, including collective bargaining, unfair labor practices, and employee benefit/PERS issues;
• Deposition experience both as to percipient witnesses and expert witnesses in labor and employment cases and law and motion experience involving discovery issues;
• Experience putting together discovery plans and executing same;
• Excellent writing skills including motions for summary judgments in labor and employment cases;
• Ability to handle and manage, with limited supervision and oversight, preparing and responding to written discovery;
• Ability to interface with the client and convey a level of professionalism and competence in terms of both the legal and strategic issues in labor and employment litigation;
• Willingness to take ownership of a matter and ability to develop a litigation plan and/or course of action;
• Self-starter and excellent follow-through skills;
• Hard worker (looking to bill 2000 plus hours per year); and
• An entrepreneurial spirit.
E-mail resume, cover letter, and salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org
"AALRR offers me the flexibility to balance my career and personal life. I especially enjoy working with experienced and talented lawyers in a collegial atmosphere."
"I choose AALRR because I can work on fascinating issues affecting thousands of workplaces throughout California and the West."
"The people at AALRR whom I have the privilege of working with and the mentorship opportunities available to me are what I like best.”