Jonathan Vick is a partner in the Cerritos and Pleasanton offices. Mr. Vick is a member of the Facilities, Construction and Property Practice Group and has more than 27 years of experience in state and federal courts and administrative agencies. He has extensive experience with construction defect claims, construction claims, mechanics liens, wage and hour, prevailing wage, OSHA, wrongful termination, catastrophic personal injury, toxic torts, and environmental cases. Mr. Vick has demonstrated an ability to expertly manage all stages of high profile, complex, multi-party litigation cases.
Mr. Vick was named to the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) Advisory Committee by Juliann Sum, Chief of Cal/OSHA (June 2015). He has previous experience as a trial attorney with the Office of the Solicitor, U.S. Department of Labor.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Mr. Vick was a consultant and contributor to Advising California Employers and Employees, 2005 Edition, CEB.
He has lectured extensively on construction defect matters, OSHA compliance and mold issues. Some of his presentations include:
- Principal Speaker, “When you Build it, What will Come? Emerging Environmental Health Liabilities in the Construction Industry,” AGC of California 2015 Annual Conference (October 2015)
- Principal Speaker, “Microbial Mayhem! Managing Legionella and Poria Claims,” Combined Claims Conference (March 2015)
- Principal Speaker, “Lead-New Rules, New Frontier, New Tools,” AGC’s 92nd Annual Convention, Las Vegas (2011)
- Principal Speaker, “Avoiding the Fire: Risk Management Approaches to Avoiding Construction Defect Claims,” Mealey’s Construction Defect & Mold Litigation Conference (2006)
- Principal Speaker, “23.5 Million Reasons Why Mold is Not Going Away, What You Need to Know,” Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (2006)
Representative Project Experience
- Defended numerous clients in Cal/OSHA investigations into accidents involving job-related fatalities and serious injuries.
- Won a defense verdict after a six-month trial defending an oilfield servicing company in a catastrophic oilfield accident involving three wrongful death claims and three personal injury claims arising from the accident. Case required expert testimony in reservoir and oil well mechanics, explosive mechanics, toxicology and isotopic analysis of oilfield gases.
- Defended a large Las Vegas hotel in a lawsuit involving a mechanics lien in excess of $1 million through verdict in Nevada District Court.
- Defended a mechanics lien action in a residential reconstruction case following the Northridge earthquake. Received a defense verdict on the lien claim and received a verdict in excess of $100,000 for the homeowner.
- Successfully defended a five-day arbitration involving a mechanics lien/delay claim filed by a subcontractor on a commercial building. Received an award in favor of the client on a delay claim.
- Defended a contractor in a lawsuit for property damage filed by a large petroleum refinery and personal injury claims filed by several hundred residents resulting from a refinery fire.
- Represented a private university in a lawsuit against a construction company resulting from the construction of a Gym/Events Center.
- Prosecuted OSHA citation/penalty case against a Metro-Rail tunneling contractor before the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Appeals Board, receiving a decision and order after a multi-day trial.
- Represented the commercial property owner in litigation against an energy company arising from the Fairfax/Park La Brea methane gas fire.
- Defended a contractor in a catastrophic personal injury case by a motorist involved in a roadway construction project.
- Defended a contractor in a roadway fatality case through jury verdict, where the decedent hit equipment which fell off a truck on the 101 freeway.
- Represented a bicyclist in a traumatic brain stem injury case arising from an unrepaired manhole cover, resulting in a multimillion-dollar settlement.
- Defended an oilfield service contractor in wrongful death claim arising from roadside accident in Bakersfield, California.
Stonegate Homeowners Assoc. v. Staben (2006) 114 C.A. 4th 740. Represented a homeowners association in a complex, multi-party construction defect litigation through jury verdict and appeal. Court of Appeal reversed the trial court, resulting in a published opinion.