Casandra Secord is a senior associate in the Cerritos office of Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo. Ms. Secord represents employers in all aspects of employment litigation, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, failure to accommodate, wrongful termination, single-plaintiff and class action wage and hour disputes, and misappropriation of trade secret claims. She regularly counsels employers regarding human resources and employee relations matters involving state and federal wage and hour laws, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, discrimination, harassment, discipline, termination, reduction-in-force, and employment and severance agreements.
In addition, Ms. Secord creates employee manuals and develops human resources policies and procedures to assist employers in complying with federal, state, and local employment laws. She has also successfully defended employers in administrative hearings before the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Ms. Secord earned her bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Michigan and her Juris Doctor from Brooklyn Law School.
- Successfully represented a construction company in an arbitration which resulted in a defense award as to all claims for unpaid travel time, assault, and battery
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a railroad company in a lawsuit alleging disability discrimination, failure to engage in the interactive process, failure to provide reasonable accommodations, retaliation, and wrongful termination
- Obtained summary judgment for a bearings supplier in a lawsuit involving claims of sexual harassment, disability discrimination, wrongful termination, and unpaid vacation benefits
- Obtained decertification of a class action filed by truck driving instructors asserting unpaid overtime and meal and rest break violations
- Obtained emergency temporary restraining order for employer who was unable to compete based on unfair business practices of an out-of-state competitor
- Obtained dismissal of a foreign aerospace supplier in a lawsuit involving claims of sexual harassment, wrongful termination and retaliation
- Obtained dismissal of a federal court action brought by a train conductor for whistleblower retaliation, disability and race discrimination, and FMLA, CFRA and USERRA violations
- Obtained numerous notices of case closure from the DFEH and EEOC involving discrimination and harassment claims filed by employees
Ms. Secord conducts sexual harassment and management training seminars and gives presentations on a variety of employment topics for the firm and outside organizations. Her recent speaking engagements include:
- Presentations at AALRR’s Annual Employment Law Conference — “Exploding Scope of Disabilities,” “Performance and Behavioral Issues” and “Termination Essentials”
- Presentation at Cerritos Chamber of Commerce — “Hiring, Documenting and Terminating Employees”
- Presentation at Southgate Chamber of Commerce — “How to Prevent and Handle Discrimination and Harassment Claims by Employees”
- Presentation at High Desert EAC — “FMLA, CFRA, PDL, and Workers’ Compensation” and “Interactive Process: ADA/FEHA/WC”